We are pleased to offer for sale a wonderful historic Bermuda home, Inwood House, set in a fabulous four acre estate with mature gardens, expansive lawns and elegant walled rose garden in the heart of Paget.
History runs deep at Inwood House. The home was originally constructed in 1700 by Francis Jones, who first came to the island in 1673 when he was appointed sole searcher by the Bermuda Company in London. By the time Inwood House was built, the Company, which had been formed in 1615 to operate the colony of the Somers Isles, had been dissolved and the Crown had assumed responsibility for the administration of Bermuda as a royal colony.
The house was built in cruciform style with external architectural features that include eyebrow windows and gable-ends with chimneys. The interior of the house is characterized by high tray ceilings and decorative woodwork. Indeed, the joists, beams, staircase, wood panels, windows and floors were all fabricated from Bermuda cedar, though some of the wood flooring and window frames have since been replaced with pine.
The property was carefully restored in the mid 1990s by the current owners, whose goal was to respect and curate the history of the home. For the quality and sensitivity of their work, they were deservedly awarded a Building Design Award in 1998. As a result, the house today is as true a likeness as possible to its original form. The ground floor consists of an entrance foyer, formal living room with fireplace, formal dining room with fireplace, a family room with fireplace, powder room, kitchen with breakfast room and a full laundry, while upstairs there are three bedrooms, three bathrooms and a library or private office.
There is a dedicated heating system to warm the house in winter and split system air conditioners to cool it in the summer. The two water tanks are fully integrated into the plumbing system and are backed up by Bermuda Waterworks.
The extensive grounds ensure that Inwood offers a haven of privacy that is difficult to find in modern Bermuda. There is, in addition, a fully restored two bedroom cottage for guests and a large detached garage. The land is sub-divided and there are two lots which could, if desired, be sold separately by a new owner.